The Traddock Hotel is a Georgian country house built around the 1740’s by the Ingilby family, probably by Columbus Ingilby. The Ingilby family were very influential locally and had owned most of the manors and associated land since the early 1500's. The house was one of several large properties built to accommodate the expanding family tree and The Traddock remained one of the Ingilby family homes for almost 200 years before being sold in the 1930’s.
The house has been significantly extended from the early Georgian house with a large Victorian wing added in the 1890’s and several other smaller extensions not long after. The house is presently Grade 2 listed and is an good example of both Georgian and Victoria engineering and building styles.
Once sold in the 1930’s the house became a small hotel or guest house accommodating summer visitors to the Yorkshire Dales. The house was initially very popular as a place to stay for geologists wishing to explore Ingleborough and the dramatic limestone geography, particularly the interesting Norber Erratic field a short walk from Austwick. In the 1950's and 60's the house hosted large numbers of school parties visiting as part of their geography field work. Many rooms being converted into dormitories with bunk-beds to accommodate school parties of 20 or more.
In the 1970's the building was slowly developed to meet changing guests expectations with the installation of ensuite facilities in rooms. A single story extension added in 1976 created more lounge space and better garden access. As guests expectations have changed the building has been carefully adapted to give a country house feel while developing into the well respected local Hotel and Restaurant seen today.
What is a Traddock?
The house when built was nick named by the villagers ”The Traddock
”, a name derived from the field the house was built on. In the early 1600's the field was used and known locally as ’the trading paddock’, and at some unknown point it became shortened to ”The Traddock”. Records indicate that local farmers held regular horse and cattle trading markets here, often swelled with travellers heading north or south on the adjacent main road, now the A65.